Thursday, May 3, 2012

Finally... May

I bought this groovy lemon-lime lamp to energize my work space


I have always loved the month of May; it is, after all, the time when we finally break free of winter's icy grip for good - until the end of autumn - and it also used to signal the end (or almost the end) of school so it triggers memories of long, lazy summer days, horseback riding and camping and going to the beach with friends... and it is, after all, the month of my birth, and represents things like emeralds, lily-of-the-valley, the hawthorn tree and other juicy portents of the natural and supernatural world.

Pink dogwood blooming in a parking lot
Everywhere I look, all the trees (well, almost all) finally have their leaves back and the bulbs and forsythia and other early-birds are giving way to achingly beautiful blooming trees like dogwoods (white as well as several shades of luscious pink), white and purple lilacs with their unforgettable scent, daringly dark Japanese red maples and wistfully pale wisteria, about which I can honestly say I am seeing more of it this year than ever before. 

I finally wire-wrapped this Ocean Jasper I bought a while ago
Up here in New England, Nature's palette is a treat for sore eyes: Even though winter was much kinder to us this year than the year before, it's always the spring and summer months that make me feel more connected to the Earth. Winter is too bleak and cold to suit my personality and, although I know we need that seasonal break, I am a Southern girl in my soul and so I breathe easier knowing May is here at last.

Two votives I made hang in the upstairs window
My Beltane "revels" only went as far as lighting a few candles inside - there was a breeze blowing that night and I didn't want the embers flying all about. I was tired, and sure enough the next morning I had a sore throat and the sniffles. Today it's more like a cold, but manageable, so I hope to get a few things done. 

There's always something that needs to be done... I just have to find time and patience to begin and end the many projects that await me. I hope you are successful in your own attempts at getting something done this week and, most especially, have the time to enjoy them. Happy May!














No comments: