Monday, April 30, 2012

Beltane is Nigh...

At Beltane, the veil between our world and the Otherworld is at its thinnest...


Tomorrow marks, as I mentioned in an earlier posting, the arrival of Beltane, sometimes called May Day - a time to usher in the warm exuberance of summer and banish (for a time) the cold and dreary winter. Festivities begin tonight, the eve of this change from one season to the next and, although my spirits have been dampened by the passing of my exceptional cat Nancy, I will light a small fire in the fire pit to honor her memory and keep it close to me. (I have already made a talisman necklace to wear for this very purpose.) The fire will honor any others who have gone on, including my brother's cat Naala, whose spirit also passed on Saturday, not long after Nancy's did.

Nancy with my mom (2008 or 2009)


I plan to write a final posting (well, maybe not final...) about Nancy, a eulogy of sorts, to help me with my grieving. After fifteen years with this little black cat, there comes a horrible, heart-rending feeling of loss when I notice that she's not sitting next to me, and I can't yet enjoy the lovely sunny days we're beginning to have because she isn't here to share them with me. I know there is an ebb and flow to these emotions, but it will take time and practice to better manage them. 

It's waiting for us all...

Tonight, though, I will celebrate Beltane with a small fire and hope in my heart that my little Nancy is where she needs to be. Small pieces of her are forever embedded in my soul and I miss... miss MISS her so freaking much right now... 

For some history and lore about Beltane, visit the Witchvox site:


I'll write a bit more about my own Beltane revels...







No comments: