Friday, May 18, 2012

Calling All Nature Spirits


Ferns and spotted jewelweed alongside the stream

Yesterday I spent a lot of time wandering around in the yard and working on the little fairy garden I'm establishing near the house. 

Last night I went to a class to learn about nature spirits; I also have a wonderful book, A Complete Guide To Faeries and Magical Beings by Cassandra Eason. 
A gnarled tree root living next to the water

My plan is to spend a little more time outside than I usually do (see my post earlier this year about my hopeful attempts at "Earthing") and to carve out at least two small sanctuaries for myself where I can commune with nature (one in the front and one in the back).

The biggest problem with this crusade is that the front of our house is quite close to a small yet busy road, plus we're one house down from a four-way stop. There's a volunteer fire department just down the road (yesterday, the ambulance screamed by three times - the fire engine, too, often roars by multiple times a day); in the back yard it's a little quieter, except there's a busy little shop on one side and a gas station that repairs cars right behind us.
A view upstream where the sun filters down a bit more
Even though there's a little stream between our house and our neighbor on the other side, and lovely woods directly across the street, there is always traffic noise - people honking the horn or playing the car radio loudly, or groups of bicyclists whizzing by as they yell out "Turn right!" and  (worst of all) the motorcycles revving their very loud engines as they slow down to stop and then take off through the intersection - there's rarely a tranquil moment, especially during the day.
I finally brought the gazing ball back outside (front yard)

But I am determined to do something about it this year - plant some protective bamboo or a row of some kind of tree between the house and the road, or put up some sort of temporary tent or wall of fabric for the summer, something that will look pretty and protect us a little from the loud sounds and obnoxious fumes of passers-by, who are also (I assume) trying to get home or to someplace peaceful themselves.
Chippy Alert: I'll have to make a "chipmunk crossing" sign!

The cats, I must say, are thrilled to catch sight of the busy little chipmunks who are always dashing across the front steps; and on the back porch, 'way up high, a clutch of house wrens are getting ready to leave the nest. 

Spring is giving way to summer and, although I will miss my dear little Nancy, who loved to come outside and enjoy it with me, I am ready to make the most of it. 
Nancy soaking up some sunshine not long before she left me

I will imagine her little sweet spirit sitting next to me, watching for the glimmer of tiny wings.



No comments: