Saturday, May 19, 2012

Yet Another Obsession...

Who is this siren?
Introducing... my handcrafted mermaid


The other night, I finished reading Sue Monk Kidd's "The Mermaid Chair" and realized that I forgot to blog about the paper-doll mermaid I made...
Serena, holding a baby seahorse and resting her arm on her fins

This one I created to give to a friend of mine - but it's not quite finished



She is quite lovely, and holds a baby seahorse - she also wears a necklace that I made with a tiny sea glass pendant... so authentic!

A close-up of her seahorse, her necklace and her tattoos!
I am going to write a suitable poem on the backside, after I make her lower half a little sturdier (thicker paper)
 

I love this little mermaid - I think her name is Serena!

There are so many lovely images of mermaids - the one below Serena is one I've seen in a couple of places (recently I saw it imprinted on a glass plate for a nightlight - quite enchanting) but I am not able to find out who the artist is...
The mysterious Victorian mermaid illustration

Being so busy with fairy gardens and their houses, mermaids and renaissance faires, I've sort of neglected my chores - but I'll get around to them eventually!

It's so much fun trying to create these mystical images and to find suitable materials to make something that will appeal not only to me but to others...

Good night and sweet dreams!


1 comment:

TJ Buckley said...

After looking closely at this image, I have to say it looks like Arthur Rackham - but since he always signed his work, it's possible that it was drawn by an artist who admired Rackham. TJB Googins