Thursday, July 7, 2011

For A Friend


"New York, New York, it's a wonderful town; the Bronx is up and the Battery's down; the people ride in a hole in the ground; New York, New York - It's a wonderful town!"
Music and Lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Yesterday I went to New York City with a friend who wanted to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge on her 45th birthday.

We took an early train to Grand Central Terminal and then rode the subway downtown where we walked more than a mile across the bridge on the pedestrian/bicycle path that perches above the traffic, took photographs, enjoyed the hospitality of a couple of friends of mine at their lovely Brooklyn home and got back at a fairly reasonable hour. (We probably walked closer to three miles by the time we got to my friends' house),

Although I lived in Manhattan and Brooklyn for several years, I never walked across any bridges, never went to the World Trade Center - but I did visit the Statue of Liberty and I've been to the Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium and I've been to either the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) or the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I can't remember which (maybe both?) I've been to Central Park and Riverside Park and Prospect Park and Tompkins Square Park and Columbus Circle and Union Square and South Street Seaport... and so much more but it's all just a blur now. I'm looking forward to showing my friend some of these memorable places when we go back.

At any rate, our day in the sun (well, there were some clouds and lots of haze - we could just make out the Statue of Liberty off in the distance) went well, even if we were very, very tired and hot and sweaty by the time we arrived at our Brooklyn oasis. And to top it all off, we were able to find an appropriate refrigerator magnet as a souvenir, as well as some very nice artsy postcards at a lovely shop inside the train station (lovely Grand Central, that is) in fact, I'm buying lots more of 'em on our next trip... I love postcards!

The wonderful book & stationery store we went to is Posman Books - a second store is located in the Chelsea area of Manhattan ~ here's a link:
www.posmanbooks.com

Yes, we are planning future trips to see more of the sights and hear more of the sounds and eat wonderful meals and wander the streets of the City alongside all the fabulous denizens of Manhattan. That means more wonderful photos and delirious details to come in a future post!

1 comment:

Jen Payne said...

The analogy of you crossing a bridge with your friend at midlife is awesome! (especially since that friend was me!!) Thank you for sharing the journey and for setting a memory of the trip on your blog!