Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Week (or two) of Anxiety & Sorrow

There is just something sad about the last few weeks: earthquakes, floods, wind, rain... mayhem and destruction 

Then there was the 10th anniversary of Nine/Eleven and I watched it happen all over again - I felt like I needed to remind myself of what had happened - planes crashing, buildings falling, people suffering 

I've watched documentaries about the rebuilding and rebirth, how so many people are trying to piece their lives back together after the attacks

 I was also worried about other things: Mom in the hospital, bleeding from some medication she was taking for her atrial fibrillation - my "new" car quit running and my husband had to pay $500 to have it fixed (never mind that I still owe him $1000 for helping me buy it) - and underneath it all a gnawing worry and fear when my lovely outside cat, my stray, my sweet Willie, my Mister Handsome has simply vanished in the wake of that stupid storm, Irene, a storm that caused so much damage and took away so much from so many - maybe it was no Katrina or Andrew but it still took its toll

Now, this cat is a survivor, he is savvy, he is streetwise - he has a white bib and a little white stripe on his nose and four white paws - plus he has six toes on both front feet, which is unusual - he has come to me for sustenance for several years now, ever since he was abandoned and left behind when his family moved away - he's come to me again and again, through rain and snow, blizzards and blackouts - and now, there's absolutely no sign of him - I know it's just a cat, but for me there's an emotional parallel with Willie not coming home and all those souls who, in essence, "vanished" when the Twin Towers fell, never to be seen again...

I put a few flyers up - I've listed him as "lost" on the local animal shelter's "Found and Lost" web page - I've called four veterinary clinics to see if anyone brought in an injured cat - and nothing yet

But I still won't give up on him, not quite yet - I want him to know that I will always be here for him, my sweet William 














1 comment:

Jen Payne said...

I think sitting with sadness, sometimes, is a good thing. It gives us a chance to reflect on how life changes, how important it is to cherish this moment, and how blessed we are to experience every facet of the human condition - sadness, joy, loss, love.

Peace to you, my friend...