Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Sign O' The Times?

Zooey Deschanel
 image of Zooey Deschanel courtesy of:
 (spoiler alert: this blog is funny, but followers' comments may feature "unsuitable language")

Since I don't seem to be making much money these days, I thought I should make an effort to save a little, so... I cut my own hair! It's not bad, but I definitely wasn't able to "style" it at all - I just trimmed my bangs and a little off the sides (it's uneven but you really can't tell from a few feet away) so I saved $20 ($15 plus tip) 

Tomorrow I will color it (I have plenty of henna waiting to be plastered all over my new "do") and think of other ways to make/save a few more dollars

And so, to celebrate my cleverness, I went out for salad (healthy appetizer) wine and pizza with a friend - and spent $30! (One step forward, two steps back!) I can rationalize that, tho: I will have left-overs for lunch tomorrow

We decided that next time, though, we will share a meal at home with an already-purchased bottle of wine and it will probably cost less than going out (it will be a cozier setting, as well)

SORRY, Angie (hairdresser) and Marco (pizza) - when the economy improves we will happily darken your doors again

Until then, I leave you with this:


    The term bangs, always used in the plural, is, as you know, the fringe of hair usually cut squarely across the forehead.  According to etymology scholar Robert Barnhart, the term is strictly American in origin (the Brits call it fringe) first surfacing in 1878.  It was believed influenced by the adverbial use of bang in the meaning of abruptly, as in hair cut bang off;  some sources offer a relation to earlier bangtailed (1861) of a horse's tail that has been cut horizontally across.








No comments: