Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Where There's A Will, There's A Way



I always seem to run out of time, mostly because I don't know how to manage time. I make plans to do certain things - write, make jewelry, create an original note card or bookmark - but there are so many other things to do, like wash dishes, do laundry, run errands... 

The house is always an untidy mess - stacks of things left undone, clothes to put away, things to organize or get rid of - and I keep thinking I'll get around to taking care of it, but I never do.



I'm intrigued by the Marie Kondo method - organizing by category (clothing, knick-knacks, etc.) instead of room by room, which I find overwhelming - so I think I need to look at that method again.

In fact, I've read a fair number of articles and blogs explaining all the ways I can get things done, helpful tips to instill order in my life, but nothing seems to help. I want shelves! I want totes and bins and baskets! But only by starting at the beginning will I ever be able to make a dent in my lovingly curated mess.

The truth is, I'm just not a very organized person, and I'm okay with that, until it gets out of control. (I also prefer wildflowers and weeds in my yard to rows of vegetables and blooms in a garden.  Go figure.)



Will this year be any different? Maybe, or maybe not... but I really, really hope so. 

No children to leave my treasures to, and no one else would be interested in having any of it. I still have to figure out what to do with my mother's things... All of these things - mine and Mom's - need to be looked at, picked up, decided upon, before they are put out to pasture.

My goal is to make my living space a little nicer, a little sweeter, a little prettier, a little neater. Like this!


 


I know I can do this. I have to. Well, maybe not exactly like this, but just a functional, lovely creative space. Now let's see if I have the courage to say good-bye to some of my old clutter and hello to a brand new way to be ME.






No comments: