Friday, May 30, 2014

Sweet Sixteen... Or 61 In Dog Years

Way-back machine:  My "singing telegram" days


Yesterday was my birthday. 61 years of living a relatively uneventful life (and I mean that in a good way... and also, I suppose, in a wistful way). Some missed opportunities, to be sure, but also interesting experiences, supportive family and friends, and so many beautiful things to be grateful for... like our wonderful planet.





Snowdrops growing in the gravel

Loving nature as I do, I try to photograph it whenever I can. When spring finally arrived here in New England, all the trees and shrubs exploded with flowers and then leaves, like this one: 

Pink dogwood in a parking lot against a blue, perfect sky

Yesterday, there was a "virtual party" on Facebook, with 50 or 60 people leaving messages and comments that sweetened an already perfect day, as well as dozens of fun photos as we all reminisced about old times. Lots of laughs and a few happy tears. I got a lovely little box of goodies from my mom and brother, a few thoughtful gifts and cards from my husband and friends. One long-time friend sent me a pad of pastel-colored parchment paper; someone else gave me a deck of angel oracle cards; and another person gave me a plant stake that glows at night. Then: A surprise package from someone I've never met (I only know her as a "friend of a friend"). "I asked the sea to wash up a collection for you and this is what I gathered," she wrote. A simple, thoughtful gesture.

Beautiful driftwood, feathers, beach glass and stones from Washington State's coastline

Remember my old car (see previous post) ? Sold it: It's gone. And my messy upstairs art room? I took a car-load of clothes and other things to Goodwill, and there's more bags and boxes in the car... both have given me more space to play with. Now, as I prepare to go back to my summer job, I should have some spare time and room to write, sew, craft, and otherwise rejuvenate my sputtering creative output. That, you see, will be my birthday gift to myself.

A single poppy towers over my dainty foot

So: Happy Birthday To Me... it looks like this could be a wonderful and busy year!




No comments: