Tuesday, May 6, 2014

If I Could Change One Thing...



Midsummer's Night Eve - Edward Hughes - 1908

We all have our faults, our flaws, our failures... tempered with our successes, our triumphs, our victories. Our two sides are inexorably intertwined, forever balanced, like bitter and sweet, happy and sad, or high and low. 

Being born under the sign of Gemini, I truly feel these two sides more keenly than some do and so, as I trudge towards my 61st birthday, there needs to be a reckoning, a solution for this sloppy balancing act I call My Life. If I could change one thing about myself, a thing that would make My Life better, what would it be?

PROCRASTINATE: to put off doing (something) until later; delay

I am a highly skilled Procrastinator. I have spent years honing my talent for never getting around to doing the little things that would improve my otherwise mundane existence. Of course, I put off the more distasteful chores, like mopping floors or dusting shelves (who doesn't?), but there are many other things I could be doing to enhance my productivity or improve my living conditions... like having an organized art space or a lovely garden or a less-cluttered house. Jewelry needs repairing, plants need re-potting, boxes and drawers and plastic totes need emptying, and My Life needs a long-overdue overhaul. But I just end up doing other things (washing dishes, vacuuming the rugs) to make up for not doing what needs to be done, what I've put off for days, weeks, months... and yes, even years.


Old Faithful, back in 2010 when it still ran and we were inseparable

For example, my old car has been sitting in the driveway for more than two years. It doesn't run, it just sits there looking more and more like a hunk of junk. I keep meaning to do something about it, but I never get around to it. My poor husband has been gently asking me when I'm going to do something about this eyesore, but I think he's finally decided enough is enough... and he's absolutely right.

Will I actually do something today? This week? This month? Yes, it's time... Let's see if I've got what it takes to do what must be done.








No comments: