Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Needle In The Haystack



Silver girl, come back to me
I am like a ghost, searching for another ghost
Peering out of windows, haunting the streets
Boldly approaching anyone for news of you
Waiting for a silver flash, a wink of your sea-foam eyes



There is beauty all around me
I barely notice, so intent am I on finding you
Imagining that, if I keep calling
And the breeze blows just right,
That you will finally hear me, at long last
And I will see you emerge
From the sea of blue-green jewelweed
Or hear your answer, faint yet near, "I'm here"

Why did you run so far, so fast? 
Where did you go?
Come back...

I saw seven rabbits and asked them all to help me find you
And I say the same to every creature I encounter
Even the big blue dragonflies are out hunting for any sign of you
Everyone I talk to is kind, they seem to understand my anguish
They all tell me, "Don't give up, keep the faith"

I found a turkey feather in the cemetery
And a tenacious hummingbird hovered next to me one morning as if to say,
"Don't give up, don't ever give up"

Hide, then, if you must, to stay safe
But come back to me, little one
We need you, your twin brother Copper and I
Do you hear the wind chimes on the back porch? 
Can you smell the incense I burn?
I need you, I need to know you're alive and well, able to survive until you return
I want you back home, cozy and warm, with me

As I print more photographs of you and write these words
My eyes fill up with my own salty water and my nose stings 
I'll keep looking and calling and hoping, my little lost love

Please come back to me, my sweet Silver girl





2 comments:

Fifibelle said...

I am so sorry she is still hiding. I pray for you and her to find each other, knowing it WILL happen. I love you!

TJ Buckley said...

thanks - i too hope we find each other... soon!