Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Fifth of May's A Happy Day


Another lovely day here in New England!

I never did light my May Day mini-bonfire! It's been nice but a bit too breezy for a fire, also a bit chilly at night again - it was 40 degrees when I got up this morning - perhaps tonight, for Cinco de Mayo?

I loved the color of this glass "stone" - the wire's thick but nicely wrapped

Several years ago, I went to a craft fair and bought a wire-wrapped glass pendant, thinking I would someday figure out how to recreate it... Well, last night the stars and planets were in alignment and on a whim I decided it was time to copy it, even though I didn't have any glass "stones" the same size or shape and didn't have exactly the same kind of wire.

The wire's a bit uneven along the sides but I like the top!

And this is what I ended up making: It's not the same as the original, but (surprisingly) I was quite pleased with how it turned out. I've done this style of wire-wrapping before, but have never attempted to do all the fancy curly-cues at the top; at any rate, the glass "stone" is in there solid and, although it took me a little longer than the "basic wrap" (see below), I may try to do another one (or two or three).

Tumbled clear quartz (one is a little milky, so it may be opalized)


The other thing I'm looking forward to is identifying and trying to use as many wonderful wild weeds that are growing in my yard as I can; already I can see Cleavers, Mugwort, Chives, Ground Ivy (or gill-on-the-ground), False Carrot (Queen Anne's Lace) and Dandelion. In addition, a few that I planted are also green and growing: Catnip, Comfrey, Kale, Lemon Balm, Mint and Yarrow.

Euell Gibbons says Cleavers (Goosegrass) tastes rather "spinachy."


If you are finally having nice weather, I hope you can get out and enjoy Nature's bounty today!








4 comments:

Fifibelle said...

I am finally a follower! Lovely blogs! Thanks!

TJ Buckley said...

hey - i'm enjoying your blog, too, and thanks as well!

Anonymous said...

The jewelry is lovely!

TJ Buckley said...

thanks - i'm feeling the love, lately... :)