Monday, June 13, 2011

Hell's Bells


It's June! Lots of rain, humidity, everything's green - but soon it will be beastly hot and everything will get brown and crispy...

(Image: "The Pirate and the Mermaid" by Scott Gustavson)

My husband's birthday is in a couple of days... tonight we saw the latest "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie - I liked the script and the new characters (the mermaids were a great idea) and the scenery was great (lots of aerial shots, underwater, computer-generated stuff looked really good) Depp is always wonderful to watch and Geoffrey Rush is brilliant, as usual - Ian McShane is terrific, too... Now I'm waiting for the Green Lantern movie - also might go and see the new X-Men flick - speaking of x-men, we saw a trailer for a new Hugh Jackman movie about a giant "rock 'em sock 'em robot" that looked like it could be good...

I am looking forward to next Tuesday (June 21) - it's the Solstice, so I will have to blog about that - will do some sort of ceremony to welcome Summer in all its glory

Oh - okay, here's something random:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hell's Bells can refer to:

Not quite what I was expecting... but wait, what's this?

Hell’s bells is an interjection, an expression of surprise and disappointment. It was shortened from the original "Hell’s bells and buckets of blood." Although this expression’s exact provenance is not known, it is believed to have originated aboard 17th century pirate ships.

Wow - now that's more like it, right? This makes perfect sense, given the movie we just saw and the image I found to go along with it

It's late - time to wrap up - I'm also plotting some future blog posts about more mundane things... kicking around a few ideas, including sharing some jewelry I've been making, perhaps a poem or two my mother wrote more than 60 years ago, some interesting web sites, pet peeves, random insights... so, stay tuned, be safe, have fun and enjoy the Summer!

1 comment:

Jen Payne said...

Aye Matey - tis all about the pirates I see! Love the image and the meandering of thoughts about pirates and movies and a little education to boot. Problem: that AC/DC song is gonna be in my head all day! Hell's Bells!