Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Happy 90th Birthday, Winnie



My mom was born on April 6, 1921 in Kentucky. She had two loving parents, two healthy children and two feisty husbands. Now here she is - an orphan and a widow with two kids in their fifties - celebrating her 90th year. How does one mark such a momentous occasion?

My husband and I decided to take my Mom and my brother on a four-night cruise on the Monarch of the Seas to the Bahamas. We didn't do as much as we could have (there were at least a thousand college kids on board, since it was the beginning of spring break - however, except for having a little too much to drink a couple of nights, these kids were exceptionally polite) but I think we did enough.

We took a tour of the island in a van with six other very nice people. We listened to music. We were waited on by a wonderful waitstaff. We bought souvenir t-shirts. We were yes-ma'am'd and yes-sir'd by everyone who works for Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. Our cabin steward was one of the sweetest and helpful people I've ever met. We watched the beautiful blue ocean go by. We even sailed through a school of flying fish.

We celebrated my mom's birthday. The young people applauded her. We made sure she wanted for nothing. And I think she enjoyed being surrounded by the ocean, something that she was not able to experience during World War II, when she was young and patriotic and joined the U.S. Navy. Now she can say she has sailed the ocean blue.

Happy Birthday, Mom

No comments: