Thursday, June 6, 2013

Up Up and Away

Today I was given a lovely gift... someone gave me their time, an extra pair of hands and a fresh look at an old problem.

I couldn't water the plants without moving stuff.

Now there's a clear path and more space.

My friend Karen, who's also an artist and seems to understand why I hang on to stuff, offered to come help me declutter my upstairs art space, which is packed to the gills with boxes and totes and piles of all sorts of pretty junk: pens, paper, rubber stamps, hats, glass jars, paint brushes, ink bottles and so on. 




This section was clogged with totes and stuff.

For two hours Karen kindly and gently helped me rearrange things, sweeping away fluffy balls of cat hair and pieces of shredded paper (Copper and Silver, our two semi-feral cats, used to make nests among the magazines and newspapers) and all the while she kept saying things like, "You have nice things, I understand why you want to keep it - but let's see how much you want to keep and where it should go." I was so surprised I almost cried.
 


Still lots of stuff, but some boxes are gone.
I suppose I expected her to say things like, "Oh, you don't have room for this, just toss it." or "You'll never use that, get rid of it." But she didn't. She kept encouraging me by saying, "You had already organized quite a bit of it!" Although I did discard some things, there's a lot more to go. But I'll get around to it. Most importantly, the piles are shrinking. And that feels good.





Interestingly, I didn't feel too ashamed of how much stuff there is, or why I cling to it. One work table is now organized, and all my art supplies are within easy reach. The other side of the room is still a wreck, but I can't help feeling like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Other friends have helped me with this before - for which I'm eternally grateful - but what we accomplished today was nothing short of astounding.


This corner next to the futon was wasted space.

I know all the excess stuff is keeping me from being creative and I am actually looking forward to continuing this anti-cluttering campaign. (I admit I felt obliged to vacuum the living room and mop the kitchen floor before Karen arrived - I was feeling a little ashamed about that! I wish I'd cleaned the bathroom, too...) Also, the dishes and a load of laundry got done.







The corner now has room for a small shelf
After a couple more hours of tidying up, I went outside and planted lilacs and honeysuckle in the back yard before the rain came and the light was gone. I also dug up at least a dozen kale plants (hundreds of them are springing up all over the back yard, all green and gorgeous). Let me know if you want any.


Whew! What a workout!


All that, and a blog post, too! A wonderful ending to a most productive day.

 






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You've been nominated as a VERY INSPIRING BLOGGER by Jen at Random Acts of Writing [+art]. THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts and ideas with the blogosphere!

http://randomactsofwriting.wordpress.com/2013/06/08/very-inspiring-blogger-award

TJ Buckley said...

congratulations to you and thank you so much!

troutbirder said...

I wish I could be helpful to my spouse in the same way your friend was to you on thie very same subject. However I need to control my temper first....

Fifibelle said...

I want to borfow your wonderful friend! What a difference a little organization can make in your life and your mind! Good for you!