Friday, February 23, 2024

For the Love of Everything














Music on the radio
Colors in the sky
I know I'll really miss it all
If and when I die.

Yes, I could live forever on
Just honey-butter bread, but
I'll miss the bees and butterflies
When I am finally dead.

The flowers and majestic trees
And sweets that make me choke
Old movies that can make me cry
I'll miss them when I croak.

The smell of toast and bacon
Or warm cinnamon buns
But all these things are left behind
The minute I'm all done.

To laugh out loud, to sing a song
A satisfying yawn
Refreshing swim, the smell of rain
They're history when I'm gone.

A garden full of radishes
The beauty of a rose
Perhaps they'd truly benefit
If I quickly decompose.

Releasing all my nutrients
I'd help the grass to grow
To feed a herd of mustangs
As I moulder down below.

Wild dogs could come and sniff me
The birds may drop some seed
The whales might sing or whistle
As my bones disperse like weeds.

It doesn't pay to whimper
I don't wish to complain
But I shall miss so many things
It causes me great pain.

So serve me tea and biscuits
I'll have that glass of wine
And give up everything I own
If I could turn back time.








No comments: