Thursday, February 21, 2013

Of New Things and Guitar Strings


A boring, blurry photo of a guitar-string bangle bracelet
Some time ago, I made a couple of bracelets from used guitar strings given to me by my brother. 

A better photo: Gold-tone guitar-string earrings
More recently, I saw some very nice looped earrings made from the same material, so I did my best to recreate them from memory. 

Yesterday I was going to make another pair, but the string I had chosen was too thick, so I decided to see if I could turn it into a necklace... and I did. I chose wooden beads, big brown bibakao seeds (from countries down in the Caribbean) and a large bead made from fossilized dyed sponge coral. I wrapped the guitar string around itself to create wrapped loops at each end and attached a clasp.


This necklace was easier to make than I thought!

As it happened, this piece turned out to be rather unisex, which is twice as nice. 

Plus, I really like the idea of:

1. re-using something...
2. re-using something that belonged to a person I care about...
3. re-using something that vibrated with sound, making music for others to enjoy...

Will I make more things?

I have lots of strings!



5 comments:

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Oh, I loved this. These. All of it. You left a message on my own blog and pardon me for not remembering you. But I have loved reading your own. Sending you creative sprites to carry you forward!

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Oh, I loved this. These. All of it. You left a message on my own blog and pardon me for not remembering you. But I have loved reading your own. Sending you creative sprites to carry you forward!

TJ Buckley said...

i, too, have enjoyed your postings and yet have not managed to leave a comment on your blog until just the other day! thanks for the encouragement, and i could really use a creative sprite or two, so double thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love your work!

cozy detaiz said...

Awesome post.Thanks For share this post with us. That is normally frequent amongst adults.Appeal Bracelets They're customary from gold metallic, charms and beads are designed to mark guitar bracelet particular events. These form of bracelets are fairly the preferred available in the market at this time.along with your finest good friend.