Saturday, July 6, 2024

The Return of the Muse






When I write, I tend to visualize images and hear background music, like I'm watching a movie. It's exciting and motivating, but sometimes I think it keeps me from exploring the possibilities of actually writing the story because I get carried away by the possibilities of writing a movie script (which I don't know how to do properly).

But, when the Muse beckons, it's hard to resist her siren's song. It's quite bewitching to start writing something new, even if it's somewhere in the middle of your story line, and you realize that something is taking shape right before your eyes. 

Your characters begin to talk to each other, scenery appears and events unfold. An idea leads to another and before you know it, you are immersed in a world of your own making.

Some stories take a very long time to create; others spring to life and before you realize it, you've written 10,000 words. My problem is... I rarely finish anything.

When I was a journalist, I had to write, research and publish countless articles; most of them needed little or no editing, but when they did need a little make-over, I was fortunate to have really good editors. Personally, I've "written" 2 children's books, 2 Young Adult novels, a play/screenplay and various poems and essays (so far). 




The only one that's "finished" is a fantasy story-poem about one of my dead cats that I started writing a dozen years ago. That one is going to be published (with help from a friend) as a 'zine (a small 24-page booklet) that I'm also illustrating with rubber stamp art and paper cut-outs. I'm hoping to print 100 copies by the end of July 2024. 

I'm really looking forward to finishing something! Wish me luck - stay tuned for more!











No comments: